The Principals and administrative staff at Ball High School are committed to developing and nurturing a learning environment for which the parents and community members of Galveston can be proud. Our principals have a history with both Galveston Island and Ball High School and they are committed to making sure that the students succeed, both in school and in their lives after they graduate.
- Joseph Pillar, Principal
- Stephanie Wilcox, Associate Principal
- Melvin Bouldin, Assistant Principal
- Heather Canack, Assistant Principal
- Lewis Parker, Assistant Principal Intern
- Keelan Muse, Assistant Principal
- Sarah Mills, Assistant Principal
- Susana Tapani, Assistant Principal
- Madalyn Fuller, Testing Coordinator and Teacher
Joseph Pillar is a proud alumnus of Penn State (Bachelor degree) and University of Houston-Victoria (Master degree). Originally from Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, he has lived in Texas since 1999. He is married to Angela and has two daughters. The elder has graduated from Ball High. Mr. Pillar has been the Principal here at Ball High since August of 2011. His career in education began in 1997 as a high school mathematics teacher. After ten years of teaching, Mr. Pillar traded in his teaching hat to enter the realm of administration. Here in GISD, Mr. Pillar has served as the Dean of Instruction at Ball High, the Director of Instruction and Staff Development K-12, and is currently the Principal of Ball High School. Mr. Pillar’s favorite quote is from Horace Mann, “Education then, beyond all other devices of human origin, is the great equalizer of the conditions of men, the balance-wheel of the social machinery.”
Degrees and Certifications:
- The Pennsylvania State University - Bachelor degree in Secondary Education Mathematics
- University of Houston Victoria - Masters of Education in Administration and Supervision
Hello, my name is Stephanie Wilcox. I began my career as a high school teacher in Galena Park at North Shore High School. After a couple of years, I joined Galveston ISD as a middle school teacher at Central Middle School. I worked in the district is some different roles including magnet coordinator, GCC career advising specialist and collaborative learning leader before I left to go to Texas City High School as an assistant principal. I’m enthused to be back at Ball High School as the director of media and I&E.
I have one son and a beautiful niece. I enjoy spending time with my family, going to festivals and traveling.
- Bachelor’s at UHCL in communication
- Master’s at Lamar in educational leadership
- Technology Applications EC-12
- Social Studies 4-8
- Journalism 8-12
- English as a Second Language Supplemental EC-12
- Principal EC-12
Hello! My name is Heather Chide Canak and I am a proud 3rd generation BOI and Ball High School graduate. This is my 15th year as an educator. I graduated from BHS in 2003 with 30 college credits by enrolling in Ball High’s Universal Access Program partnered with Galveston College. In 2004 I received my Associate's in General Studies. I went on to Texas State University, San Marcos, to complete my undergraduate degree with a Bachelor's of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies in 2008. I returned home to Galveston after graduation and began my teaching career for GISD in 2009. I have taught all elementary grade levels as a classroom teacher for 9 years before I decided to grow in my career as an administrator.
In 2011, I graduated with my Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from the University of Texas at Arlington- Online Program. In 2018, I decided to venture into my next educational chapter and become an administrator as the Collaborative Learning Leader for GISD’s AIM Middle and High School. In 2019, I transferred to Ball High School to continue the same Collaborative Learning Leader role and build my administrative leadership by enrolling in Lamar University's Principalship Program. I became interim Assistant Principal during the 2020-2021 pandemic year. Upon completing the Principal Program in December of 2020, I received my Principal Certification. I served as Collaborative Learning Leader Administrator for 5 years and now starting my 15th year as Assistant Principal.
I am married to BOI and Ball High graduate, Thomas Canak. I have a 21-year-old stepson who attends Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi. I have no children of my own but adore my nephew and three pups. I also enjoy my hobbies of gardening, going to the beach, and relaxing with family.
- Associate’s of General Studies Degree- Galveston College: Galveston, Texas
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies- Texas State University: San Marcos, Texas
- Master’s of Education in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies- University of Texas at Arlington: Arlington, Texas
- Principal Certification Program- Lamar University: Beaumont, Texas (Principal as Instructional Leader Certification)
- Early Childhood through 4th Grade Teaching Certification
- English as a Second Language Certification
- Gifted and Talented Certification
- Texas Teacher Evaluation & Support System Certification
Greetings! I’m Lewis Parker and it’s an honor to be part of Ball’s administrative team. This year marks my 11th year in GISD. While serving the district, I’ve taught 7th/8th ELA and 7th Grade Social Studies. Over the years, I have worked closely with staff to implement strategies that improved test scores and overall campus outcomes.
This year, my goal is to help sustain a safe and collaborative learning environment. I also believe it is important to create a school culture where all staff members truly believe all students can learn and will learn. Additionally, strengthened campus-family networks are critical to student growth. By working with all stakeholders, I will make sure your child receives a high-standard education with high expectations, unapologetically. I am truly excited to work with everyone this school year.
- Masters of Education – Northcentral University
- Bachelors of Social Work – University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
- Principal as Instructional Leader (EC-12)
- English as a Second Language Supplemental (4-8)
- Generalist (4-8)
- National Institute for Urban School Leaders - Harvard University; Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Leadership Partners - Rice University; Houston, Texas
I am Sarah Mills. This is my eigth year in GISD. It took me a while to get here but I finally made it! My husband and I are happy to call Galveston home. I am a proud graduate of Port Neches-Groves High School and Lamar University! I have experience as a teacher for eleven years, a counselor for nine years and an administrator for twelve years. My experience comes from Aldine ISD, Conroe ISD and Willis ISD.
I am very excited to be a member of the Ball High administration team. I look forward to getting to know the student body more and more each day. It is such an honor to be a part of the lives of these incredible young people as they make their way into adulthood!
- BS Interdisciplinary Studies
- M ed Counseling
- M ed Educational Leadership
- ESL K-12
- PK-6 teacher
- School Counseling
- LPC-S, RPT
Hello! My name is Susana Tapani. I have 4 children who are my strength and motivation and a wonderful husband who supports me in my career. I began my career as an educator in Galveston back in 2014 teaching fourth grade at Burnet Elementary School. At Burnet, I also served as a lead curriculum facilitator. After five years, I moved to Dickinson ISD where I was a fifth-grade interventionist. I also worked at Clear Creek ISD where I had the opportunity to teach kindergarten, third, and fourth grade. I am so excited to return to Galveston and be able to reconnect with former students at a different stage in their lives. I am also excited to have the opportunity to mentor and motivate all the students at Ball High School.
- Associates of Arts in Business Administration - University of Phoenix
- Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration - University of Phoenix
- Master of Educational Administration M. Ed.- Lamar University
- Early Childhood through Sixth Grade Generalist Teacher Certification
- Bilingual Education Supplemental Certification
- Special Education Supplemental Certification Principal certification as an educational leader
¡Hola! Mi nombre es Susana Tapani. Tengo un marido maravilloso que me apoya en mi carrera y 4 hijos que son mi fuerza y motivación. Comencé mi carrera como educadora en Galveston en 2014 enseñando cuarto grado en la Escuela Primaria Burnet. En Burnet, también me desempeñé como facilitador principal del plan de estudios. Después de cinco años, me mudé al distrito de Dickinson donde fui intervencionista de quinto grado. También trabajé en el distrito de Clear Creek donde tuve la oportunidad de enseñar en kínder, tercero y cuarto grado. Estoy muy feliz de regresar a Galveston y poder reconectarme con antiguos alumnos en una etapa diferente de sus vidas. También estoy emocionada de tener la oportunidad de ser mentora, guiar y motivar a todos los estudiantes de Ball High School.
- Asociados de Artes en Administración de Empresas - Universidad de Phoenix
- Licenciatura en Ciencias en Administración de Atención Médica - Universidad de Phoenix
- Maestría en Administración de la Educación M. Ed.- Universidad de Lamar
- Certificación de maestro generalista de primera infancia a sexto grado
- Certificación Suplementaria de Educación Bilingüe
- Certificación Suplementaria de Educación Especial
- Certificación de director como líder educativo
Hi there! My name is Madalyn (Maddy) Moriarty. I have worked in Galveston ISD since 2014 and am currently the Testing Coordinator at Ball High School. I am from Galveston, a proud BHS graduate of the class of 2008, proving the saying “Once a Tor, always a Tor.” After graduating high school, I headed off to Austin, TX to obtain my bachelor’s of Science degree in Human Development and Family Science at the University of Texas (Hook ‘Em!). I graduated from UT in 2013 and promptly began my teaching certification to become a science teacher. In 2014 I returned to Galveston to teach Biology at Ball High and have since taught multiple courses across the Science and CTE departments.
I am currently enrolled as a graduate student at Angelo State University to obtain a master’s degree in Professional School Counseling and am set to graduate in December of 2023.
Degrees and Certifications
BS Human Development and Family Science, 2014
MS Professional School Counseling, in progress